As we enter a bear market and brace for a potential recession, investors are relying on their advisors more than ever for help navigating an ever-changing regulatory landscape.
Legal and compliance personnel at investment advisers are facing many challenges, including comprehensive new regulations regarding market activity and enhanced scrutiny of investment activity in light of new proposed rules related to private funds and cybersecurity.
Advisers are being held to high standards by the SEC for identifying and responding to conflicts of interest, providing and targeting client disclosures, and more. All of this is happening in a business landscape that is constantly being reshaped by the emergence of new developments like digital advice, “break-away” broker-dealers, and innovations in advisory programs.
PLI is offering a one-day program, Fundamentals of Investment Adviser Regulation 2022, which will provide attendees with a solid foundation in the current regulatory regime governing investment advisers. A distinguished panel of experts will offer insights into the most pressing issues facing investment advisers today, such as how the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and state securities laws interact, the SEC’s adviser exam program, and recent enforcement cases.
Other topics that will be covered include:
- Who the regulators are and how they interact
- Lessons to be learned from recent enforcement actions against advisers
- How the SEC’s new marketing rule will impact adviser advertising and solicitation activity
- The SEC’s 2022 exam priorities related to advisers
- How advisers will need to respond to cyber breaches if the SEC’s proposed cyber rule for advisers is finalized
- How an adviser registers with the SEC
- What determines whether an adviser is SEC-registered or state-registered
- What an adviser’s fiduciary duty entails
- How to manage and disclose conflicts of interest
Any attorney or business professional who is looking to understand more about investment advisor regulation will benefit from this program. It will also serve as the perfect refresher course for anyone who already deals with these issues on a regular basis. Register today.
Leave a Reply